Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Plan Your Work-Work Your Plan

My high school boyfriend used to quote that. He loved to seem successful even  when we were teenagers. I was never much of a planner back then. I was more of a plunge in and see what happens next kind of person. That actually served me well and I have no regrets, but at my age I have finally experienced the joy of having a plan, experiencing the consequences of executing plans and succeeding in the process. As a teacher, one lesson I've learned is the importance of daily lesson plans. So, here's my advice to you, younger teachers.

Write lesson plans. I mean, really write them. For yourself. I know your administration asks you to submit long-range plans and unit plans and collaboration plans and all sorts of whatever plans. But, there is merit to writing daily lesson plans each week. Even if they aren't "required". Especially for yourself. You are your own audience.

Even though I've been teaching for twelve years in the course of twenty-one years (I just love the 12-21 this year), I still write daily plans for each of my classes. Every Monday, I write the plans. I have a binder where I keep those plans on my "lecture" desk. I can consult on pacing from previous years and remind myself of activities that I may forget with a fresh class.

The key is to revise these plans and to make notes as you go. Lesson plans should be a living document. It is not static. If you don't get through your plan in one bell; you won't. Nothing dire will ever happen when plans change. But, do always plan.

Dynamic teaching is the key to any successful long-term teacher. Hopefully, you still love your content enough to still be researching and keeping as current as possible in  your academic discipline. I love the process of shaping plans. Adding components. Scratching out what absolutely was not necessary or completely failed. It is an art form at the very best and a "laundry" to-do list at the bare minimum.

What's great about writing plans is the ability to prepare well in terms of copies to be made or video clips to cue or any other materials you need to succeed. Perhaps it's just me, but I just don't like racing around at the last minute and you know what else?

I pride myself on my professionalism. It's all in the plan.

Image result for lesson plans images


No comments:

Post a Comment