Friday, August 21, 2015

Baby Steps

At the end of the day, when I am exhausted and overwhelmed... I must reflect over the amount of content my classes have covered in a mere seven days of instruction. It's amazing. Head-spinning, but inspiring. Yes, I hit the ground running and these pickles have run just as hard. For the most part. Of course, there are some classes I still haven't "reached". But, the trick to teaching is to focus on the classes that are succeeding and dig deeper to reach those who just haven't yet gotten there. Most importantly? To believe that I will... I will reach every student who graces my classroom.

Teaching is hustling if you do it well. Reflecting over what worked and what didn't work is key. Dynamic lesson planning is integral to meeting each and every student's needs. Because Speech and Drama is a somewhat new content for me, I spend every "free" moment researching, reading, brainstorming. Could I be any luckier? This is a dream for an academic.

Balancing academics and "fun" is a struggle for me right now. I know the kids just want to have fun. I mean, this is their elective. I get it. So, there is little to no homework... but there is a lot of class work. When the pickles return on Monday... they are going to give their very first speeches. It took a lot of instruction (teacher lead) to reach this point where they will "perform" (student lead). I just know that it will all be worth it after the students feel the success of overcoming their fears, anxieties and insecurities in presenting public speeches. Empowering.

So, when a student who could barely pick up his head and mumbled everything actually smiles now and will be able to present his speech: that is a win. When another student apologized for his behavior in class and I reminded him every day is a clean slate: win. When a student actually spoke above a whisper: win.

The key is to focus on the successes and not the struggles. Counting blessings instead of listing grievances.

No comments:

Post a Comment