Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Bonus Ice

It really is the little things. Work can be hard. Life can be hard. And so it goes. I try to find little things to brighten my day. One little thing I have found at this dream job is Bonus Ice. Yes, bonus ice. Anyone who knows me (or has been in my classroom) knows that Ms. Beck is a water fanatic. But, I love icy cold water. Live for my ice. I know, Kentucky Friends... it's the Northerner in me. Love me some ICE. So, to find out that the teacher's lounge has a refrigerator with an ice dispenser is like finding gold to me. I can fill my water jug with as much ice as I like.

One afternoon before the bell rang, I told the class, "I'm going to get some Bonus Ice. I'll be right back". Bonus Ice? they asked. "Well, you know how well we teachers are paid. On top of that, they give us free ice! This is the best school EVER!"

And although this really is one of the best schools I have ever served, the Bonus Ice is honestly a check in the pro/con list of schools-I-want-to-teach-next-year. I used to freeze water bottles half-way so that I would have icy cold water all day long. But, when the Science Teacher explained how toxic it is to freeze water bottles, I stopped. Now, I carry my son's old camp water bottle filled with ice to start the day. And... I can top it off as much as I like.

Aside from my morning coffee, I quit caffeine years ago. No more Diet Coke for this teacher. So, ice water is my staple. I tease that "I have to earn my wine" ummm... not that teachers EVER drink wine. That's a joke. But, in my journey of aging, I have learned that water, water and yet again more water is key to my overall health and well-being. Even when I was YOUNG, I loved my water. I'm just the ice water teacher. That's me.

So, with Bonus Ice to look forward to every day... I am inspired to race into the classroom on FIRE with new ideas, lesson plans, brilliant students and love for literature. All while well-hydrated.

1 comment:

  1. That is one super cool school, lady! When I was teaching in rural Ohio, we had one very sweet farming family give every teacher in the district a bag of potatoes for Christmas. Bonus potatoes. Gotta love the little stuff!

    ReplyDelete