Monday, March 16, 2015

Due Dates

I just had an interesting conversation with the creative writing majors today in response to their concern, "What if I don't have my draft ready by tomorrow?" This, after I gave them an entire week (aside from my brief, stupid stories to launch class) to quietly write, write, write.

"Listen, kids. I hate to tell you, but when you are 'real' writers, submission dates are exactly that. You don't submit your work by the due date, editors and publishers are not even going to consider your work and you will never get published. You must understand the importance of due dates."

Okay, that may seem harsh. They're only middle school students. But, the same is true for expectations of high school teachers and college professors. They expect student work by a certain date. So, I'm preparing them for reality, right? Preparing them for their future educational careers. This is my job. And I know these students have a lot of pressure on them. I get it. But, I also see a lot of wasted time, fooling around (much like any other middle school kids). Sometimes a little pressure is a good thing.

And... these are writing majors. This is what they have chosen to do. I'm not that strict with the elementary kids who come in once a week to float in literary arts. Actually, they spin my heads with their creative, wacky little selves I'm surprised quality instruction even occurs. But, it does. Set expectations and kids will rise.

Pacing documents. Due dates. Expectations. Responsibility. The dreaded H word: homework. This is the reality of a classroom. Interesting how the sound of fingers tap tap tapping on keyboards floods the room today. No giggling. No whispering. Glasses on. Heads down...

because mean Ms. Beck laid down the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment