Sunday, March 8, 2015

Vertical Alignment

I remember a conversation I had with a friend when Facebook first started. I was trying to wrap my brain around what it was.... this, in the time before "social media". She said, "It's stupid. You can post anything you want, like 'I like Krispy Kreme'". I was confused. Krispy Kreme? The point, of course, was that Facebook allowed people to write their own opinions, thoughts, ideas. Only... at the time... I had this big idea about the INTERNET. I thought it was IMPORTANT and certainly not the place for Krispy Kreme comments.

Little did I know that would be the least ridiculous thing I would read on Facebook. Years later, I appreciate the use of teaching responsible social media in the classroom. I'm excited my new students are required to create their own blog spots and to use it wisely. Facebook is still verboten in the schools, but blogging is okay. I'm relieved about that, as well. My new students are way too young to get wrapped up in social media. It would suck their brains dry. Blogging, on the other hand, allows for a more thoughtful approach to expressing ideas and opinions on the internet.

So, with that in mind, I'd like to share an example of what an intelligent, thoughtful blog looks like. This is from the high school creative writing teacher's blog. She and I do what is called "vertical alignment". We collaborate together to teach the highest quality instruction to the kids who move from my middle school classroom to her high school classroom. I blog. She blogs. Our kids blog.

Here are her words: https://teachlikeeveryoneislistening.wordpress.com/2015/02/28/teachers-who-plant-the-forest/ Teachers Who Plant the Forest

What I especially like about this particular blog essay is that she refers to a teacher we both know. A woman who has inspired both of us in different ways. The connections circle around and around, which is a reflection of life, really. If the internet (social media) has done anything well... it's allowed for stronger connections between people.

And that is a little more significant than a love for a donut.

No comments:

Post a Comment