Thursday, March 26, 2015

Plants, Windows, Art

This particular classroom has spectacular windows, so the first thing I did was to raise the blinds entirely. I'm known for the open blind classrooms. In fact, students would know if I had a sub if the blinds weren't opened for the day. They began to recognize the light versus dark classrooms that have become really popular lately.

I also noticed a conspicious lack of plants in this classroom. With these windows one could grow a jungle in here! I do understand that some people are plant people and others aren't. I'm definitely a plant person, so I brought one small plant to add a little life to the environment. You should see the library in this school. The librarian is a plant person and the entire space is so alive and green. It's a pleasure to go to the library every Friday. I asked the librarian if the plants were hers or if they were here when she took this gig. She confirmed... she's the plant person. She cares for them. Then, she so graciously gifted me a clipping of a plant I particularly admired.

In one school I once taught, there was a huge absence of art in most of the classrooms. No framed prints. No student collages. No art. None. Now, I know that because I'm a visual artist, I'm probably a bit more hyper-aware of art in the classroom. But, I find it to be so important to the classroom environment. I was delighted to sub in a classroom where the teacher allowed the students to paint all over the walls. The room felt alive and vibrant. In another, the teacher hung prayer flags and had smiling Buddha statues.  In this classroom, I smiled to see a darling piece of art I once saw on Pinterest... it's one of those melted crayon pieces where silhouettes of musicians, dancers, artists and writers sit at the bottom of the rainbow. I asked another teacher about the piece and she confirmed the teacher for whom I am subbing created the piece herself. Brava! It's just great and brings such life and color to the space.

Because our classrooms are almost an extension of our homes, I believe it to be really important to make our space as inviting as possible. I am grateful my current classroom is decorated so beautifully in colors the teacher obviously loves. She's hung paper lanterns and strung a long banner across the windows. Inviting pillows create a reading corner replete with a matching lamp. I brought a spice jar filled with cut daffodils from my own garden to rest on my desk yesterday. Almost every student noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment