Sunday, March 8, 2015

Music Pop-Ups

Some of my favorite moments in the classroom are what I call "Music Pop-Ups". School can be really hard. Students work diligently and feel stressed out, no matter the age. What I have practiced is a good, old-fashioned dance moment time. I blast (appropriate) music between bells or before school or even (scandalous!) during a class bell when I feel like we could all use a refresher. It's good for the soul to move one's body and to sing along with a great tune.

I was delighted last fall when a student randomly walked into my room with a portable speaker (music system) what do we old-fashioned teachers call them now? Anyway... he walked in to a quiet class, turned on the music and blasted "Grand Master Flash". Imagine my quiet class's amazement when instead of reprimanding the child for interrupting instruction, I started singing right along: "Don't push me cause I'm close to the edge/I'm trying not to loose my head... It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from going under!" When the song was over, he quietly walked back out of the classroom and we all turned our attention back to our work. What fun! What a blast of healthy mental inspiration, really!

During this latest gig, I tried it. The kids were feeling grindy and burned out by the end of the week, so I turned on a song and we jammed. It only takes four minutes from instructional time and with how fast I walk, talk and move.. it's time well-spent. Not wasted. Everyone smiles by the end of the music pop-up.

There is probably good brain research I can cite to support this claim. I'm sure the research will prove that listening to music uses different parts of the brain at the same time and fires up synaptic nerves, etc.

What I know is what I've experienced. Everyone enjoys a random music pop-up from time to time. It creates community (one of my primary tenants of good teaching). It refreshes the soul. It's just good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment