Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Diggin' Deep

I wrote about terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad days we teachers sometimes experience. You know what gets me through? The students. No matter how low I fall, these kids lift me up every single time. Unbelievable.

To see a kid's eyes light up when he's discovered a magical thing happen in the process of writing his novel. Ahh... yes. That moment. The reason we writers write. When the characters take on a life of their own. When the plot twists on its own accord. Sounds weird? Try writing a novel. It happens and when it does, it is the most exhilarating experience ever. To see the joy emanating from my student's eyes was more than enough to make me dig deeper and recognize how blessed I am to be a teacher.

Then, I open Facebook to see one of my past students on a local television show, broadcasting his latest culinary endeavors in his career. I post, "You are a rockstar! I am one proud teacher." To which he responds, "Ms. Beck, I hope I can always make you proud". Again.... joy.

Tackling my emails... I find my current student's latest draft of his one-act play that is good enough to submit to the Kennedy Center's student play contest. His note of gratitude for the opportunity inspired me to open his email attachment and read through the current draft. What did he do? Took every single note I gave him and revised, rewrote and polished what was already the best one-act play of the class. He dug deep.

I'm inspired to dig deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment