Monday, March 9, 2015

Self-fulfilling Prophesy

A friend wrote on her facebook page, "What would happen if we treated all children like they were just as gifted and talented and special as anyone else? What if they all have the same opportunities?"

I responded, "My entire philosophy of teaching and raising a child. Self-fulfilling prophesy. Tell them they are the best and they become so. I've seen the results over the past twenty years. All children have the potential. It's up to us to believe and communicate our beliefs and expectations."

And it's true. I would actually bold-faced lie to inner-city students that I had chosen them to be in my class because they were the most intelligent, gifted, wonderful children in the school. Then, I taught them at the highest level... as if they were in a private school. Was my lie a lie? Was it wrong to lie?

My answer? What harm is there? I mean, who are we to tell ANY child he/she isn't capable of reaching the highest potential? Isn't it more about expectations and life experiences that inhibit children; not their own talents, intelligence and "giftedness"? What child isn't gifted in some way?

I have experienced watching children grow up and reach the stars in their careers and personal lives. Kids who came from the worst backgrounds can RISE! That is not to say it's just what we tell them. They have to WORK. Nothing comes without hard work and determination.

But, it is my responsibility as a teacher to BELIEVE first. Communicate that belief to them and then... they will believe.

Life comes with its own challenges. None of us exist without battling against hardship. Why would we parents and teachers not love, support, encourage them? It's our responsibility. It's their right to have people in their lives to lift them up.

My sister-in-law told me the funniest little story about how her children watch the television show "Modern Family" and then assign what roles our own family would play if we were those characters. Who would I be? Gloria, of course. I laughed and laughed. And I agreed. I come from the Gloria philosophy of parenting. Why not love all over my child and believe the best in him? Life will throw our children the worst and they will fail at some of their endeavors. It's inevitable. Shouldn't we parents and teachers be the rock of foundation for their own self-beliefs? "They" say the messages we tell our children are the inner voices they carry throughout their adult lives.

I want my son and my students to hear my words of encouragement and to carry those words in their inner-most beings. "You are smart. You are capable. You are beautiful. I love you."

Can you tell me any child deserves less?

No comments:

Post a Comment